Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Speed Bump

Today has been a very trying day.

Last night I had met up with some guys from work for a fantasy football draft where I ate way too much food.  To the point where I don't even want to share all that I ate.  Not because I'm ashamed, even though I kinda am.  I don't want to share because I may get sick.

Which leads us to today.
 
My alarm clock went off at 4:30, so I could go out for a 9 mile training run.  I swung out of bed to turn off my alarm clock and my stomach was in a good deal of pain.  Back under the covers I went!  A couple hours later I was out of the house and heading to work, feeling much better.  The days schedule included an all day meeting on Continuous Improvement (Nationwide's version of Six Sigma).  I learned some things, heard the song "Ring My Bell" one too many times and the day went by fast.

After work I headed to the auto shop to get an oil change.  Now for all of those other people out there driving older cars you know the pitch at these appointments:  "We completed your oil change and it looks like you need a new air filter, brake fluid, new serpentine belt, blah blah blah".  I prepare myself for moments like these.  I put up the wall.  This time was different...  The first words out of his mouth were "This car isn't safe enough to be on the road".  OK, you've got my attention.  At this point he took me back to my car and gave me a guided tour of all the things needing repaired.  (I don't know much about cars so don't be surprised if the following names are far from actual car parts)  Tie rods, ball joints, shocks and tires.  These are the items needing work just so the car is safe for the road.  The complete list to fix everything is so long I don't think I'll be sharing it here.  I hadn't talked to Aimee, and I didn't have money with me, so I paid for my oil change and headed home.

We had no choice.  The car needs fixed.  It's the only car we have and I can't put my girls in there in it's current condition.  So I called my guy.  The guy who fixes cars for a living and gives me a deal.  I know he'll save us some dough. 

No pick up. 

Voicemail. 

He calls back!!  "Hey Thomas, I got your voicemail.  I'm sorry but I'm not doing that kind of work anymore." ..............but he's my car guy!  Bye bye car guy.  Hello hiked up repair bill.

With that said our Chicago Marathon fund is now on life support.  My first thought was that we'd lost all the money we saved up.  Then a weird thing happened.

I was fine.

Our saving for the trip is all but cleaned out, but we have the money to fix the car.  This is a blessing in, and of, itself.  I'm going to be thankful for this experience.  I've got faith that we'll get over this speed bump.  The trip will be a success and through this race, and all the donations we'll receive, hundreds of people's lives will be saved.

To make up for yesterday I ate very good today.  I was able to feel good all day.  I even ate dinner!  An hour later Bryce came over and we headed out for 9 miles.

Then it hit me.

Within the first mile I was confident that this would be the first time I would have thrown up during a run.  I lasted 4.6 miles.  Didn't throw up either.  Although I was close a few times.  I still don't feel too good right now.

If you take anything from this entry let it be this:

1.Have faith in the Lord and He will see you through the rough times.
 2.Don't eat lots and lots of food.

I'm going to lay down.




No comments:

Post a Comment