Saturday, December 1, 2012

What Do You Love?

Happy December to one and all!

My month has had a very jolly start.  I ran a 5k this morning in the very small town of Minerva.  The race benefited the Minerva Area Christian Schools (MACS).  It's the smallest race I've done and it's one of my favorites.  It's the same course I ran back in June at the Jolly Jaunt (also benefiting MACS) but this was their first time doing a race in December.  To jolly things up a bit they gave everyone bells and gave out shirts with a running snowman on them (I may or may not be wearing the shirt right now)  OK here's a picture of it:

Long sleeved!  Bonus!

The race was a blast.  Even the runners were really nice to each other.  Bryce and I struck up conversations with a few people and everyone seemed joyful.  The crowd was about 40-50 deep (in June there was about 20-30 less).  Almost everyone put the bells on their shoes which made it something the locals couldn't ignore.  A few families even came outside of their homes to watch us runners.  I didn't necessarily run the race well.  I started off a bit too fast.  At mile one the time keeper told us what we were at and I even told him I was running too fast (because I'm sure he really cared).  The last mile it thinned out a bit and there wasn't anyone in jingle distance behind or in front of me.  If it weren't for the volunteers at every turn I may still be in Minerva right now.  I made the last turn and Bryce came back to finish off the race with me.  Good times had by all.

So why is this race one of my favorites?  It's not the course, lack of crowds, the fact that it's less than 20 bucks (a rarity in race entries) or the SWAG.  I love the race because the people organizing it really care about the school.  I've run a few races and you can tell when the people really care.  As long as they keep organizing races I'll be going there.  It really motivated me to start getting this AW 5k off the ground.

After the race ended, and my stink faded, the wife, kids and I headed to constitution town to be a part of a friends photo shoot.

The theme of the photo shoot is "What do you love?"  We had a lot of fun.  Aimee took a picture of her holding the girls.  Savannah held up the bell I gave her from the race and a barbie for another picture.  Addison took some pictures playing with Aimee's old phone and drinking her bottle.  What did I bring?  Shoes.

Before I go into why I chose shoes I feel obligated to let everyone know how guilty I feel about it.  Just because I didn't pick my wife and girls, or my bible, or something else more important than running doesn't mean I don't love them all.  If anything running has enhanced my love for all of those things.

To me, running has been a blessing.  It's made me healthier.  I could easily be fifty pounds heavier if I kept up the exercise routine I had a few years ago (poke food with fork, lift fork, put food in mouth, repeat).  Friendships have grown stronger because of it.  Real friends are the ones who will wake up and run with you at 5 in the morning, and also not get mad at you if you sleep through your alarm... (sorry guys).  God has even used it as a ministry in my life.  If you haven't read my past posts ministry was the reason I started running.  Being on team Active:Water is amazing.  Also, early morning runs by myself have been some of the times I've felt closest with God.

Is running tough? At times.  Do I feel some pains from it?  My knees get mad at me for just putting on my shoes.  All things considered, I wouldn't be the same without it.  I don't want to know life without it.

The holiday streak is going swimmingly.  Haven't missed a day yet and I've been breaking in my newts.  I felt a very minor shin splint taking out the trash a few hours ago and my lower body has been pretty sore but through the struggles joy comes in the morning.  This streak has even motivated me to do a set of sit ups.  Watch out Channing Tatum!

You can see the fear in his eyes
So what is it that you love?  Running?  Knitting?  Channing Tatum?

Thanks for reading.  Go get your Christmas shopping done!



No comments:

Post a Comment