Monday, January 28, 2013

Excuses

Welcome back!

I've had a rough few days.  My girls have been struggling with some kind of bug for almost a week.  I had two nights of sleep in my marital bed.  The other nights were either all couch or part couch.  Our kiddos share a bedroom so on the nights that Savannah is sick we have her go in our bed.  This is so she doesn't wake up Addison.  Last night was by far the worst.  I could go on but this is tied into what I wanted to talk about today.  Excuses.

Before I jump into that I'd like to let you all know that my trainer came in the mail.  Woo!  I set it up, asked Bryce to come over and help me fix my bike/trainer, watch as Bryce tells me my rear wheel was put on the wrong way, apologize to Bryce for wasting his time, and watch as he gracefully tells me that it's really no big deal and he's glad to help.  After that minor fiasco I hopped on and off I went. 

Literally. 

The bike came off the trainer. 

I didn't start going forwards and through the wall.  The tire hit the floor and I stopped pedaling.  End of story.  Apparently I didn't tighten it all the way.  I am the tri noob.

Excuses.  Yes.  I've had a good amount of them as of late.  Sick kids, writing a paper, needing more sleep, etc etc.  I shared some of these excuses as reasons for not working out yesterday with training pal, and resident chops buster, to which he replied:
"I am going to start calling you sponge Thomas excuse pants!"
Ouch.  Very ouch.  After the initial reaction to being taunted with a children's Nicktoon I took a look within myself.  Conclusion: lately I've been pretty complain-ey.

Sick kids are no laughing matter and sleep is important.  There are still times I'm sitting on my butt and watching television or numbing my mind on social networking.  Time to switch from whiney Thomas to Trainin' Thomas.  I read a post from the blog Fitness and Frozen Grapes (on the link list to the right, or keep reading and click the link that's a different color) titled "Write It Down, Do It Up".  In the post she starts a new segment where she lists her workouts for the week.  I'm not affiliated with her blog but I thought I would try the same thing.  Not as an act of plagiarism, but a way to keep myself accountable.  Here it is in all of it's vague glory:

Monday: Trainer for 30 minutes.  Core exercises during commercial breaks of The Biggest Loser

Tuesday: Swim for 30 minutes.  Work on shoulders

Wednesday: Run 4 miles.

Thursday: Swim for 30 minutes.  Arm and chest workout

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 6 mile run

Sunday: 40 minutes trainer

I'm not a fitness professional.  Don't take my plan and adapt it for yourself.  I'm making this up as I go along.  I have some method behind my choices.  Honestly, I do.  See a fitness professional for a training plan suited for you.

I made this plan yesterday, to start this morning.  It didn't happen so off I go but it's still Monday.  January 28th.  The official kick start to the 2013 race year training!

It's trainin' time! 

What's your first race?  When are you starting your training plan? 


2 comments:

  1. It's a good idea to put your workouts out there for accountability, but sick kids is a pretty good reason to miss a few workouts! Don't be too hard on yourself.

    Our next race is the Hyannis Marathon relay, my husband and I are each running 13.1 miles and we are pacing our friend who is running her first full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't get too hard on myself when they're sick. I know that it's a good stress reliever and when I'm the most stressed is when I don't have the time to work out. Vicious circle lol.

      I've never done a relay. Although I'd say that's more of a half marathon than a relay leg lol.

      Delete