Sunday, September 8, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I'm going to ruin the end of the story.  I got the job.

With this new job is coming a lot of changes.  I'll get to that a little later.  First, some running stuff.

Yesterday I ran a 20 mile training run with my two marathon partners in crime Bryce and Adam.  Looking back it wasn't too bad, but during the actual run I felt a little whiny (I'm sure loyal followers of my blog have NEVER heard me whining or being complainy...).  The first ten miles were a little rough.  Riddled with stomach pain.  It was nothing a bathroom stop could have helped.  I know the reason my stomach hurt during the run too: Me.  I haven't been eating good as of late.  It's been a stressful few weeks and I've been eating the easiest food I can conjure (by conjure I mean hot n ready pizzas from Little Caesars).  I thought of even turning back.  It hurt typing that last sentence.  It never happened, luckily.  One reason was because I had no idea where I was.  The only way to get back was to complete the run.  I kept up with the guys for 12-13 miles.  The remaining 7 were a slow, but steady, uphill.  The last mile was all downhill.  Which at first read sounds pretty nice huh?  Not so fast my friend!  Imagine your body being exhausted and throwing all your weight on it.  Not purty.  Only finished 20 minutes behind the guys though.  Not horrible.  Plus when I got back one of them was searching for a toilet so I didn't have to make anyone wait.  SCORE!

Wednesday I got an email at work.  I didn't get the job (GASP!).  The manager I knew in the dept was out of the office so I texted him for the hiring manager's information, this was so I could get some feedback on why I didn't get the job.  He called me back inquiring who called me about not getting the job, wanted that person's number, and he would call me back.  A few minutes later the sender of the email gave me a ring.  She apologized for the mistake and told me that I was not out of the running.  They hired one person but they were going to be hiring two.  At this point I had been waiting for a response for a few weeks.  What's a couple more days?

Thursday came and I had a good feeling.  This feeling was confirmed as I got back from lunch.  I got the job!  Weeee!  It starts on the 23rd of this month.  The excitement didn't last long, unfortunately.  Then the financial part of it reared it's ugly head.  I would be getting a lump sum of money to move, but it was far less than what we expected.  This is my fault actually.  If I would have done proper research I would have known the number we were throwing around wasn't going to happen.  Then again, it's not good to ask about financial stuff when you don't have the job yet.  Either way, we started stressing a little bit.  Where would we live?  How would we get there?  How would we afford a moving truck?  Who would help us move?  When would we move?

These are not problems I'm upset about having.  I'm aware how nice our family has it.  There is a big world outside of my blogosphere.  I'm in a country where I don't have to worry about walking out my front door.  I don't worry about shrapnel hitting me when I'm running around the city.  I need to give time to thank the Lord for these things and help/pray for people in lesser situations.

On Friday we went out to meet Aimee's parents for dinner.  About a quarter mile away from our destination I hear a snap and the car starts sliding.  Wheel bearing went out.  We were already stressing a bit (as mentioned above) but this kind of set me over.  I turned into an introvert.  I didn't want to talk.  I didn't want to mention the car.  I just wanted to eat and get home.  AKA I was a big baby.  Here is a little segment I typed squeezed  between two car seats in the backseat.  I wanted to include it in the blog:


I was in a BIG baby mode.

How ridiculous is this?  I got a new job.  I'm going with my beautiful bride and two girls.  It's an adventure.  A move I feel is supported by God Himself!  These distractions are just getting in the way of the real mission here.  Through our tests is a testimony.  

I know the Lord will provide for us.  He already has in the form of my Mom supporting us and my in-laws being there when our car broke down to help us.  It'll all be OK.  Breathe Thomas... breeeeeathe.

Which brings us back to Saturday.  After the 20 mile run I got home and we decided to take on this move the same way you eat an elephant.  One bite at a time.  We looked for places and found a great townhouse in an extremely nice area.  We found out it was nice with a website Nationwide provided me with for reviewing cities and zip codes.  The area is over half the national average in terms of crime (our current zip code is over 2 and a half times the national average which surprised us because we are not in a bad area).  Also someone from our church is working on our car.  Should get it back tomorrow.  Then today at service we had numerous people coming up asking if they can help us move.  An overflow of love.

On the Tri front I will not be doing any down in Virginia.  I gave the bike that Bryce was going to sell me back to him.  I'm also selling my back up bike back to my father-in-law.  It's all good.  I'm still going to plan on finding a place to swim in Richmond.  My plan is to still do a half iron next year and a full the year after that.  God willing.

Thanks for reading.  We appreciate your prayers through our move.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Different topics but same titles. How crazy. Earlier this week, another blogger and I blogged about the same event and published our posts about 10 minutes apart. The event we both blogged about happens 2 weeks prior and we both randomly posted recaps on the same day.
    Good luck with the move, not easy but once you settle in it will be nice to explore and train in a new area!

    ReplyDelete