Sunday, February 9, 2014

YMCA

I'm sitting at my computer on a Sunday morning at 10 am.  I should be in "get myself and my family ready for church" mode but I'm sitting in front of a computer screen.  My two daughters have noses running like the river Nile and my wife is in full on hibernation mode.  When boredom strikes, I blog!

I signed our family up for a YMCA membership.  The gym is a mile down the road and is equipped with two gymnasiums, multiple fitness areas, and 2 pools.  Oh yeah.  2 pools!  I've been going 5 - 6 days a week for the past three weeks, even waking up most mornings at 4:30 to get a swim lane.  That feeling of being healthy is creeping back.  Savannah has even started swim lessons.  I need an entire blog post to talk about that though...

POOL!

The misses and I have also gotten back into logging all of our food on My Fitness Pal.  Staying within a certain amount of calories transforms the way you eat.  You decide that instead of starving yourself you're going to find healthier foods, and eat much more of them.  We've even purchased quinoa.  It's been sitting in our cabinet for two weeks but hey, we bought it!

The gym has also reminded me of how much I sweat.  Over the past couple weeks I'll wear a hoodie while I'm working out.  Friday afternoon I was there with the misses and it was disgusting.  I think I even heard murmurs from someone else about the amount of perspiration.  Something along the lines of "is that the machine or him?"  The reason I say "I think" I heard murmurs was because why would a stair master machine be spewing out liquids?  Maybe I imagined it all..

Anyway, yesterday I went to do a sprint tri workout, sans hoodie.  I thought this would minimize the sweat but man was I wrong.  The hoodie was actually trapping the sweat so it couldn't get out and gross out all the middle aged women on ellipticals.  As the sweat was beading on all parts of my body I got a little self conscious.

***GROSS SENTENCE WARNING.  DO NOT READ THE NEXT FEW SENTENCES IF YOU BECOME QUEAZY EASILY (say queazy easily ten times fast)***

I was looking for dry parts of my AW running shirt and I had no luck.  Not sure why I did it but the next thing I did was wring out my shirt.  Sweat drenched my shorts (and I wonder why people don't read my blog...)  I'm really looking forward to having an actual bike in April when I bring it back.

Right now I'm signed up for the Hall of Fame marathon in Canton but I'm really not feeling it.  Now that I've got so much cross training at my disposal running alone doesn't get me out the door.  Perhaps the Akron marathon isn't as lost in my mind as I'd like it to be.  Maybe not having my running crew is draining me of any running enjoyment.  The most I've done in one session is 8 miles.  I think I could still complete the marathon if I became disciplined with running the miles.  My final decision will be made by the end of the month.  I'd hate to waste a free race entry but I'd also like to enjoy what I'm doing.  If anything, a free race entry is making it easier to not run.  The thought of requesting a race change, to the half, has also crossed my mind.  Hmmmm.

There are some sprint tris on my radar.  My goal is to do a few open water races to build up confidence.  Maybe even do an Olympic.  I'm going through races trying to find the open water swims that have the least amount of turns.  A point to point swim would be best.  That's the fear creeping back in.  The Richmond Tri Club has open water swim training coming up in the next few months and I'm going to join in.  The distance isn't worrying me.  It's the depth.  One day I need to just jump into the deep end and tread water as long as I can.  I feel kinda silly being 28 years old and I can't stay afloat without swimming.

In April my wife, and the girls, are going to Ohio for a month.  I'll join them for the first week and then be in VA for three weeks.  By myself.  I can already feel the boredom setting in.  Maybe I'll get ripped.  Maybe I'll go for a hike.  Maybe I'll just eat spaghetti-os straight out of a can and scroll through Facebook till my brain hurts.  Maybe I'll blog!! (maybe not..)

No comments:

Post a Comment