Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tales Part II

Here is part 2 of 3.  Thank you for reading.

(If you missed part one click the link below)
Part One

Age 12


     It's almost time for baseball practice.  My parent's decided to wait before signing me up and now in my first year I have to play kid pitch.  So far this season I have already torn all the ligaments in my elbow.  I'm holding down the bench.  Today Dad is sick and laying on the couch.  Maybe he has the flu.  This means Mom has to take me.  I'm better off with her taking me anyway.  Odds are my Dad will just sit in the car and fall asleep.
            A couple hours pass and we head home.  Dad is still on the couch.  His situation has gotten much worse and Mom calls for an ambulance.  The paramedics arrive and Dad is talking to them as if nothing is wrong.  After hours of being incoherent and passed out he's now able to speak with clarity.  He sounds like he's not even sick.  This is always how he handles pressure situations.  EMTs find it's best to take him to the hospital.  I stay back with my sister.
            It's been a few hours and Mom comes to pick us up.  Dad's situation has worsened and he was moved to the intensive care unit.  He's in the back corner of the room.  It's not too big and dimly lit.  There's a nurses station in the center of the room so we have to pass all the rooms to get to him.  There's a sinking feeling being in here. 
            In my Dad's room and he's out.  Mom is a mess.  There are so many machines, numbers, buttons, and sounds.  I'm shifting my focus from one machine to another guessing what's going on.  No such luck.  After a while, the doctor comes in to let us know what's wrong.  Dad has bacterial meningitis.  I have no idea what that is but the doctor doesn't make it sound good.  There is little chance of my dad surviving.  Mom let's my sister and me know that our Grandpa and Uncle are on their way to the hospital.  We move to a small waiting room across the hallway from the intensive care unit.  I don't know too much about plants but it might be a fern in the corner.  Aside from Mom, my sister, the fern, and a couple chairs this waiting room is barren and small.
            My extended family makes it down to Massillon and we head to the cafeteria.  My Grandpa and his girlfriend buy dinner for my sister and me.  They're also calm throughout all that's going on.
            The priest from our church comes to visit Dad and gives him his last rights.  He has his Bible and oil and starts to pray.  My eyes don't leave Dad.  This is too much.  Mom thanks the priest and we make our way back to the waiting room.  The tears continue to flow.  Mom takes us home.
        A couple days later, a family friend from my Dad's National Guard unit visits him.   
 Dad's feet start moving.

             

Age 21
     Today is Mother's Day.  Mom has the engagement ring at her house for safekeeping.  I opened a credit card and bought it a few days ago.  Aimee doesn't know I bought it, even though we picked it out a couple weeks ago.  I'm trying to think of a way to propose and nothing comes to me.  I'm just nervous.  At Mom's, house her face lights up when I walk through the door.  She tells me how beautiful the ring is and that she was afraid to leave it out of her sight.  Her excitement is contagious.  Happy Mother's day, Mom.  Your gift is another daughter.
            To Aimee tonight is just another night.  We're sitting in my apartment and something is on the television.  I couldn't tell you what's on.  I'm looking right through it. 
"Let's go for a drive."
            Our drive leads us to Stadium Park.  The ring is in my pocket and I'm trying my best to hide the ring box shaped bulge in my jeans.  It's dark outside so it makes hiding it much easier.  There's no destination point for the proposal.  We make it to a small bridge on the walking path.  My hands are shaking as if I'm outside in January without gloves. 
She has to hear my heart beating.  Is this what it feels like to have a heart attack?
I stop us and get on one knee.  No words are coming out.  Something mumbles out about marriage and she replies
"Yes".
Success.


            We decide on June 7, 2008 (6/7/08).  It's a nice, easy to remember, date.  I need all the help I can get.  The next year is a whirlwind of planning, floral designs, and food tastings.  I start growing my hair out so I don't have a buzzed head for wedding pictures.  My hair needs to stay within Army guidelines, can't let it touch my ears.  Aimee often mentions that wishes she had someone who wasn't so opinionated.  Contrary to what people tell me, this is my wedding too.  My number one request was to have a white tuxedo.  No one else seems to think this is a good idea, because apparently I'm too pale for it to work.  We decide on black but I have a longer jacket than everyone else does.  I ask my friend Josh to be my best man and he accepts.  A month before the wedding he goes into hiding and doesn't talk to me.  Thanks a lot. 
            The day has arrived and my new best man, Alex, gets everybody in my wedding party breakfast.  We make it to the church and Aimee's maid of honor asks me for the rings.
"I don't have the rings. Aimee does."
"She says you have them."
Shoot. 
I do have them. 
At home. 
            Alex drives me to get them. 
I should have picked him in the first place.  I'm not bitter.
            Over the past year, I haven't been nervous.  A half hour before the music starts I'm in a back room of the sanctuary and people start filing taking their seats. 
I feel and hear my heart again.  Now I'm certain that people will hear it. 
The rest of my wedding party enters the room and it's time for the rehearsed walk to the altar.  Aimee's music starts and she enters the sanctuary with her dad.  Everyone else disappears.  She's wearing a strapless flowing white dress.  Her heels give her another couple of inches but when she makes it to me; I'm still taller than she is.  Phew.  Pastor Mary Kay performs the service and like a flash, it's over. 
            We take pictures for an hour, the sanctuary is transformed into a reception hall, and the guests come back to fill in around the tables.  We're so tired and busy that we don't have an appetite to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment