Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tri Training Week 1

Hello.

Before I get into my week o' training I want to say thank you to all those who read my last three posts.  They were stories about my life and moments that have shaped me.  I can't say that I didn't care if people read them, I mean I did post them to the public, but it was a step for me to share the story.  It's usually something that isn't brought up till someone asks.

I hadn't checked my school posting since turning in my paper and when I saw that my professor graded it my heart sunk.  My history with school is unsatisfactory.  Soon after I turned 17 I stopped caring about school.  This meant not doing homework, being barely conscious in class, and barely even showing up.  When it came down to it I needed to pass my final exams to graduate high school (a point that I didn't tell my mom until last year.. ha)  I passed and college was an after thought.  Years, upon years, later I'm in school and checking my essay score.  Ten points docked off.  340 out of 350.  I was a little bit excited.  Then I read my professor's response:
Thomas, I am kicking myself big time. I just spent 40 minutes reading and commenting on your paper, then managed to delete it by accident. Your stories, your use of different fonts, your wonderful description. All excellent.

So, to summarize briefly, your paper was wonderful. Truly. I loved pretty much everything about it. The only issue I had was your failure to put commas in compound sentences. You pretty much missed all of them (about 25-30). Clearly this is a rule you need to learn. Google it, or check out my handout on commas in the announcements section. 
 I'm taking the good with the bad.  Funny thing is I have my wonderful, college graduate, wife check my papers and guess what she always brings up?  My lack of commas.  The ONE time I don't have her check.  (note to self: listen to your wife).

I'm not posting this out of pride or gloating.  This is a testimony.  About ten years ago, and a couple weeks, something happened in my life that led me down a bad road.  God had my mom, sister, and friends, that would soon be family, in my life that saved me. 

ANYWAY!

Training.  Yes!  Training!

Friday I was back on the trainer and pounded out a solid 40 minute ride.  A love is growing for that trainer of mine.  Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stages, but I love it.  It's the workout I look forward to the most.  I would post my MPH but I don't have any fancy schmancy computer technology, at this time.  I'm saving.  So now I'll settle for "zen" training.  Basically, training for the enjoyment of training and not focusing on the numbers.  Aside from the time I workout I don't have an elaborate log (this blog is my log (blog log))

After the ride Aimee and I went out for dinner and a few laps around the mall.  The couple hours we were away were blissful.

Saturday I had planned on running in the morning but I kept running into speed bumps (figurative).  Went to the bank, grocery store, and another grocery store.  After that, Savannah had some raised rash looking areas and we were in freak out mode.  Calling the 24 hour nurse, mentally preparing for a hospital visit, etc etc.  We soon found out that it was only dry skin.  Sigh of relief.  No more excuses.  Time to run.

To make the most of the time I had, I went to the little complex gym for twenty minutes.  Once the iron was sufficiently pumped I made my way out into the snowy abyss.  It may have been my best run since I PR-ed my half marathon time during Chicago Marathon training.  Not best as in time (remember I'm zenning.  Watch went bye-bye), but best as in most enjoyable.  I brought an ipod touch and had music blaring.  It was the first time I listened to music while running since the summer of 2011.  I even stopped a few times, GASP!, to take pictures.

Artsy Fartsy Instagrammy
Sunday I was back on the trainer.  My plan was to do an hour but I couldn't miss #trichat.  Aside from the trainer, I've also found a fond enjoyment in using Twitter.  The community of runners and triathletes is a great resource.  Most of the blogs I link on the left are from people I've met on Twitter.  Back to the trainer.  I started the Ironman 2007 World Championship and off I went.  It was great.  Just great.

I won't go into too many Super Bowl details.  I went to my friend Jermaine's house and ate way too much.  I'm talking more-than-I-eat-on-Thanksgiving eating.  The team I wanted to win lost but they made it interesting.  The off season for a Browns fan is bitter sweet.  Bitter: I can't watch any Browns games till September.  Sweet: I can't watch any Browns games till September.  Next year is our year!  OK, I don't even believe that.  I'll take some improvement though.

Monday: Rest day.  Yuck.  I started "My Fitness Pal" to see what I'm eating.  There's also a weight loss competition I'm running at work, that is in no way associated with work.  Just a friendly competition for a small money prize.  I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight but with the amount of training in my future I'm bound to shed a pound or two.

Today I went for a swim.  Wasn't my best effort.  I was trapped in my head.  "You're kicking too much.  You aren't slicing the water.  Tuck your head back towards your shoulder when you come up to breathe."  It's OK though.  I'll get 'em next time.  After work I ran a few miles.  While it was not as enjoyable as Saturday, I got a good workout in.

Once again, I've added an "About Me" page and a "Races" page.  Check 'em out!

Thanks for dropping by. 


No comments:

Post a Comment